‘They’ve got more video tapes’: Trump’s newest chief of staff once feared there could be more bombshell ‘Hollywood Access’-style recordings of Trump

0
114
‘They’ve got more video tapes’: Trump’s newest chief of staff once feared there could be more bombshell ‘Hollywood Access’-style recordings of Trump

Mick Mulvaney, President Donald Trump’s new acting chief of staff, once believed there could be more undiscovered audio tapes and video footage of unflattering comments made by Trump, according to an interview he gave in October 2016.

Mulvaney, a former Republican representative of South Carolina, reiterated his previous endorsement for Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, a former Republican candidate for the 2016 presidential election, adding that he “was never a Donald Trump guy,” according to an interview he gave with the South Carolina-based “Jonathan and Kelly Show.”

“When I signed up with Donald Trump, I signed up with Donald Trump for one primary reason — which is that he was running against Hillary Clinton,” Mulvaney said in the interview, which was reported by CNN on Monday. “And that is still who he’s running against.”

Read more: Trump reportedly grew frustrated no one wanted to be his chief of staff before settling on Mick Mulvaney

Mulvaney also discussed the bombshell “Hollywood Access” audio recording in which Trump was heard saying lewd comments about women in 2005. Days before Mulvaney gave the interview, the tape’s existence was first made public by The Washington Post and was widely believed to be a focal point in a contentious presidential election.

Mulvaney.
Alex Wong/Getty Images

“My guess is worse stuff is going to come out in the last 30 days,” Mulvaney said. “They’ve got more video tapes. Everything the guy’s ever said is on a video tape or an audio tape. There’s going to be some atrocious things that are going to come out.”

Mulvaney said, despite his concerns, he believed supporting Trump was for the greater good of the GOP. But he was apparently baffled by the state of politics during the 2016 election, likening it to an alternate universe.

“Should either of these people be a role model for my 16-year-old triplets? No,” Mulvaney said, referring to Trump and Clinton. “In an ordinary universe with [sic] both of these people’s past activities disqualify them from service for office? Yes.”

“But that’s not the world we live in today,” Mulvaney added. “The world we live in today is either him or her. And for me, that’s still an easy choice.”

Read more: Trump’s newest chief of staff called him a ‘terrible human being’ days before he won the presidency

Mulvaney’s interview comes after another unearthed audio recording that once placed him at odds with Trump. Days before the presidential election, Mulvaney described Trump as a “terrible human being” and one “of the most flawed human beings running for president in the history of the country,” during a debate with a Democratic opponent running for his House seat.

Last week, Mulvaney was selected to replace chief of staff John Kelly and serve as acting chief of staff.

“I look forward to working with him in this new capacity as we continue to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!” Trump tweeted on Friday.

Mulvaney tweeted his thanks to Trump, following the announcement.

“This is a tremendous honor,” Mulvaney said on Twitter. “I look forward to working with the President and the entire team. It’s going to be a great 2019!”

Mulvaney took on numerous roles in the Trump administration and is widely seen as a fiscal conservative willing to cut federal spending. Mulvaney will not resign as the director of the Office of Management and Budget, “but will spend all of his time devoted” to his new role as acting chief of staff, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement.

Read More

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here